Nature is the best show in town for me. Animals, mountains, rivers, canyons, I love them all. Photography, writing of prose and poetry are the ways I show my appreciation for them.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Time of Falling Acorns

Yosemite has deer jams.  What's a deer jam?  That's when cars stop in all the wrong places so people can look at deer.  During the time-of-falling-acorns deer jams can be found almost all the time just to the west of the park headquarters where the drive intersects Northside Drive where the deer are eating acorns.  


A windshield shot with an Olympus Stylus Tough-8000 I use as my pocket camera.



Leaving the museum after talking with Julia Parker (see the last blog), I went out the back door to go see the Indian Village that Julia helped design.  Just a few feet from the door and right at the fence that runs around the village, was a little doe laying in the fall leaves.  Turning to face her made her uneasy, so I turned my back on her and she lay back down.  With the Olympus aimed behind me I was able to get this shot.

"Look one way, photograph the other way" shot with the Olympus.


There were no deer jams around this little doe.  People just walked right past her without seeing her hidden in the leaves.  I love it when nature sneaks up on us this way.

When nature comes
On four legs
Or two wings
Or the west wind

I feel like a bridge between
Creator-made and man-made
Reality and pretend
Permanent and temporary.



No comments:

Post a Comment