Nature is the best show in town for me. Animals, mountains, rivers, canyons, I love them all. Photography, writing of prose and poetry are the ways I show my appreciation for them.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Julia Parker Kashia Pomo/Coast Miwok

Julia Parker can be found most days in the museum in Yosemite making traditional baskets.  She uses materials she gathers herself in the nearby forest.  The materials have to be processed in the old way before they can be used in her baskets.

The day I was there, she was answering questions about her work that the tourist were asking her.  Before I moved from California to New Mexico, I had taken a basket making class from her at Point Reyes Nation Seashore near San Francisco.  I wanted to let her know that her teaching had made a difference to me so I waited until others had their questions answered and had moved on.

"Julia, I'm sure you don't remember me, but I took a class from you at Point Reyes."

"Oh, yes."

"I just wanted to let you know that your class has inspired me to go on and learn about other ways of making baskets."

"That's good.  I'm glad to hear it.  Do you still live here?"

"No, I've moved to New Mexico."

Her eyes light up.  "New Mexico.  I've been thinking about that big powwow there in Albuquerque.  What's it called?"

"Oh, The Gathering of Nations."

"Yes, that's the one.  There isn't any tribes from California going to that one and I'm trying to get some to go."

We discussed the powwow for a few minutes then more tourist came and I moved on.

I feel very humbled that she would seek information from me when she is the one giving and sharing her culture and knowledge.  The greatest gift she has given me is the ability to see in a very small way what all native people must see and that is the resources in nature.  She can go into the forest empty handed and come out with a beautiful basket of her own creation."

This video by KQED tells it better than I can:



No comments:

Post a Comment